Adventures by Disney Los Angeles and its one-day itinerary is a logical extension of the already established larger Adventures by Disney travel program. From international family travel tours in Egypt, Greece and many other countries, to US-based travel groups led in the American Southwest and other regions, Adventures by Disney is a great combination of child-friendly vacation fare and in-depth, relatively historically and culturally immersive travel. True travel lovers who want to expose their children to the same exciting trips that give them joy, are well-advised to look into Adventures by Disney as a viable first or second travel experience with their kids. The Vacation Gals sent contributor Adrienne Van Houten: Here is her report on the Adventures by Disney Los Angeles day trip. – Jennifer Miner
Recently I was given the opportunity to tour Los Angeles via Adventures by Disney. I have taken visiting family and friends to most of the same tourist attractions that we visited, but seeing them through the eyes of a Disney tour guide (and an amazing bus driver – more on him later) is another story. Good thing I like to tell stories.
Your morning starts bright and early at the Disney Grand Californian Hotel in Disneyland, where you will board your tour bus and begin your Adventure.
- The Hollywood & Highland Center or Grauman’s Chinese Theater (based on tour date). Guests will visit the Hollywood & Highland Center, home of the legendary Academy Awards, for a tour of the Dolby Theater OR call at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, on the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame best known for its extensive array of celebrity footprints and handprints. Both venues anchor vibrant Hollywood Boulevard.
- Hollywood’s Famed Sunset Strip. Cameras poised? Guests will see and hear about famous spots, such as Chateau Marmont and also Whisky a Go-Go – since its opening in 1964 a landmark of the Los Angeles rock scene.
- Beverly Hills. Get your glam on. Rodeo Drive is the Beverly Hills focal point and spotlight, world-famous for its haute couture boutiques attracting the rich and famous. (By the way, the tour drives along Sunset Strip and Rodeo Drive, but does not stop.)
- The Original Farmers Market & The Grove. Steeped in Hollywood history, the original Farmers Market at Third & Fairfax serves up great shopping and an amazing array of restaurants – all in an authentic atmosphere which offers family fun. And just a short trolley ride away is the fabulous open-air shopping center, The Grove. It’s not unusual seeing celebrities in the Farmers Market or imagining Walt Disney himself strolling among the stalls or dining on the patios. Legend holds that the Market’s layout inspired Walt to put pencil to paper in drafting early designs for the theme park that would come to be known as Disneyland. Guests are provided with a voucher for lunch at the food location of their choice in the Farmers Market.
- The Walt Disney Studios. Guests will get an exclusive tour of The Walt Disney Studios — which is both a working studio and the headquarters of The Walt Disney Company — followed by a special evening reception in Legends Plaza, where Disney’s many gifted animators, Imagineers, songwriters, actors and business leaders have been honored.
- Surprises. Special treats and surprise items are offered throughout the day.
If you are lucky enough to get Don as your bus driver, the drive down Sunset Blvd can be an amazing education in Hollywood culture. He has the silky smooth Disneyesque voice and the knowledge of Hollywood that I could have listened to all day long.
Make sure you wear comfortable shoes as there is a lot of walking and a lot of stairs. Some sunscreen and a light jacket for the evening would also fare you well.
The tour is priced at $199 for adults and $189 for kids ages 4-9 (not recommended for toddlers). The tour lasts almost 12 hours and includes a light breakfast, lunch and a light dinner.
Adrienne is a mom to two and grand mom to three. Her days as a world traveler are behind her for now, so she spends most of her days hanging out at Adrienne’s House. She participated in the Adventures by Disney Los Angeles day trip experience on assignment for The Vacation Gals, and received the trip for free.