If you’ve been following our blog for a while you likely know that my family loves road trips. What we like even better is the opportunity to make our road trips healthy by eating well because we feel better, aren’t as tired, and avoid packing on the dreaded vacation weight. Of course, it’s often easier said than done. Usually my husband Jeff and I will pack a cooler full of healthy snacks and lunches for the first day or two but then after that our healthy eating plans fall apart. One of the main reasons is convenience stores aren’t exactly known for healthy foods. Preservative-packed bags of processed foods (think chips and candy) are usually the extent of road trip snack options. That is, until now. Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers know this and have been striving to fill their shelves and coolers with healthy food options. I was invited to partake in the #PFJTravelWell campaign to discover and share the bounty of healthy options now offered and my family was rather impressed. I mean really impressed.
Here are some of the healthy foods we discovered during a recent visit to the Pilot location in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota:
- Fresh fruit. Huge cups of fresh fruit including grapes, pineapple and melons were available – the grapes where especially delicious.
- Fresh salads. There was a nice selection of fresh salads with our pick of dressing (Italian, bleu cheese, ranch) were another healthy option. We had our choice of a chef salad, chicken BLT, or side salad.
- Hardboiled eggs. My husband was thrilled with this product because he loves hardboiled eggs and they were a priced at a great value. Other low-carb options includes sliced cheese and quite a beef/turkey jerky selection.
- Sandwiches. The huge selection of 5.5 oz PJ Fresh Marketplace sandwiches – and they really were fresh! Choices came on subs and white or wheat bread and included turkey, ham and cheddar; turkey and provolone; ham and cheddar; and chicken salad.
- Yogurt. Not only were there yogurt cups, my favorite Chobani yogurt cups were sitting on the cooler shelves in a variety of flavors.
- Juice. At home I make freshly squeezed juice regularly and thanks to Pilot I don’t have to miss my juices while on the road because they offer a huge selection of Naked juices. I saw Mighty Mango, Orange Carrot, Red Machine, Blue Machine, Protein & Greens and Green Machine. It was a better selection than my local grocery store. I couldn’t believe it.
- Trail mix. This is pretty classic travel, camping, scout snack, but the selection was certainly worth pointing out. We walked out with several bags of nutty treats.
Not only did I think the endless choices were fabulous, my husband thought so, too. And he doesn’t give A+ scores very often. You can bet on our next road trip we’ll be stopping at Pilot and Flying J Travel Centers every chance we get.Disclaimer: While Pilot Flying J donated two $100 gift cards to Pilot Flying J stores, all opinions expressed herein are those of the blogger and not of Pilot Flying J.