New York City: Gazelle-like young women striding around in high heels, glamazons voguing on runways as celebrities look on from their seats, the blinding flash of professional-level SLR cameras…all indicate that the New York Fashion Week is in full swing. Every year, the world’s top designers and fashion models descend on the already cosmopolitan city to flaunt their creations. And, every year, American Express hosts a New York Fashion Week experience as one of its cardholder lifestyle benefits.
There are fashion shows in other design meccas of the world — Paris and Milan come to mind — but New York Fashion Week was the world’s first organized fashion week. It was started in 1943, actually intended to pull attention away from Paris during World War II; fashion industry insiders in the United States were not able to travel to France because of the Occupation (which was presumably one of the lesser worries of Parisians at the time) Since then, the New York Fashion Week has grown in popularity. Today it is one of the major fall events in NYC, and this is the city with a LOT of major fall events already (the US Open in Queens, Halloween festivities, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, etc). It’s officially called the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week now, since the luxury car company became an official sponsor of the event in 2009 — but on the ground it’ll always be called New York Fashion Week.
American Express cardholders are able to participate in the Mercedes Benz/New York Fashion Week Experience annually. For example, the 2012 New York Fashion Week Experience included a pre-show cocktail reception, and seats at the designer’s runway show; Amex cardholders were able to buy tickets to the show with no fear of lame “nosebleed’ seats or finding the show sold out. the events are hosted by currently hot fashion designers, and a Q&A (much like Lindsay Davenport’s at the US Open cardmember event) allows participants to get to know a designer in a more personal way. The 2012 hosts were Rachel Zoe and Prabal Gurung.
In 2013, American Express will enter its 12th year as a sponsor of the Mercedes Benz/New York Fashion Week. The same benefits will be made available to Amex cardholders then as well. This is always one of the most popular experiences made available to American Express card members — perhaps Amex cardholders have a strong affinity for looking hip and purchasing the latest fashions to hit the runways!
New York Fashion Week Experience American Express Giveaway
You don’t have to have attended Mecedes Benz/New York Fashion Week to enjoy all the benefits of being an American Express cardholder. In fact, for this giveaway, you don’t need to be a cardholder. As part of the Starwood Preferred Guest “Amex Stars” partnership, I’m happy to be able to offer a $250 Amex gift card to one lucky winner. Simply post which shopping benefit or protection you most like in the comments below for your chance to win.
American Express Shopping Benefits and Protection:
- Whether shopping online or at a store, American Express cardholders can be covered for eligible purchases upon use of their Amex card.
- Extended warranty can extend the length of the original manufacturer’s warranty up to another year, on warranties of five or less years.
- If you see a charge you didn’t make, let Amex know. Cardmembers are not liable for fraudulent charges.
- Purchase protection protects eligible purchases against accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days from purchase date.
- Return protection allows for “buyer’s regret.” Cardholders can get refunds for eligible items purchased on their Amex card that they’re not able to return to the store of origin (up to $300 per item and for up to 90 days from date of purchase).
$250 American Express gift card giveaway details:
- Leave a comment below stating which shopping benefit/protection you could most benefit from, were you to be an Amex cardholder. Only once per day, please.
- Tweet, “I entered @TheVacationGals $250 Amex gift card giveaway http://bit.ly/Q3NjP6 #SPGAmex” on Twitter, and leave a comment below stating you’ve done so. For the tweet to “count,” you must leave that comment. As with #1, only one entry per day this way.
- Close family members of The Vacation Gals are ineligible for this gift card giveaway.
- A winner will be selected by random.org. Should the winner not claim his or her prize in 5 business days, an new winner will be selected.
- This giveaway will run from September 27, 2012 to October 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM PST.
The gift card can be used for any purchase, anywhere that gift cards are accepted. Good luck!
This giveaway and overview of New York Fashion Week is part of the ongoing Starwood Preferred Guest American Express “Amex Stars” partnership. I have received benefits from this partnership but not from hosting this particular giveaway.