Ah, romantic destinations for Valentine’s Day! Every February, couples are given an excuse to celebrate their love for each other. From high school sweethearts to grandparents celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, Valentines Day reminds everyone to appreciate romance. There are some wonderful destinations in the world, but we don’t have to go to the best luxury hotel in the world to enjoy a romantic getaway. Here are some of The Vacation Gals’ recommended spots for romantic travel, Valentine’s Day or otherwise.
- Hawaii is an island chain that has it all; luxury travel, soft adventure, fun for families, and of course, romantic experiences. the Vacation Gals are huge fans of Hawaii. One lesser-known island, Molokai, is quieter and less overrun by the tourist crowd during holidays. ColoradoGal recommends a romantic Valentine’s Day vacation here.
- The Caribbean has many islands with different vacation options (but more humidity and less predictable weather than Hawaii). Jamaica is ColoradoGal’s recommended Caribbean vacation destination for romantic getaways – in particular, the Couples Swept Away Resorts in Negril and Ocho Rios.
- St. John is the smallest of the three US Virgin Islands, in the Caribbean. Considering that I honeymooned there (and have been back a couple of times since), St John will always be associated with some of my most romantic memories. I’ve been to St Thomas and St Croix, but St John is my absolute choice for a romantic vacation.
- The San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito, California, is just a stone’s throw from Santa Barbara. Forbes named it the “Best Hotel in the World” in 2009 – not too shabby! Santa Barbara is pretty and fun, and the Ranch utterly romantic. An entire long weekend can easily be spent just exploring the property. Montecito is incredible.
- Not many of us can jet off to Tuscany or Provence for every romantic occasion, but Napa Valley CA is closer (and somewhat easier on the wallet) for a culinary vacation replete with wine tastings galore.
- Well, California’s not the “most romantic state in the US,” because romance is where you make it, but TwinCitiesGal loves Solvang and Carmel CA – in particular, the Highland Inn of Carmel gets high marks from her for the ocean view, wood-burning stove, and attentive staff.
Speaking of having a romantic getaway where you make it so, TwinCitiesGal also has some handy ideas for creating a romantic hotel room. Not to insinuate that the junkiest, most rat-infested motor lodge can be transformed into a luxury vacation hotel with these tips, but hey – every bit of forethought helps. Be it for Valentine’s Day, a honeymoon, anniversary, or just to get away, romantic travel rejuvenates relationships and keeps them healthy. We hope your next romantic getaway is perfect.